It’s a new year, a new decade, a new phase of life! As we enter this new decade, I take a moment to celebrate the highlights of the 2010s and how the previous decade will be remembered in years to come. Will it be the discovery of Gangnam style, the worldwide debate of the blue and black or white and gold dress, the invention of the iPad, Pokémon Go or Fidget Spinners, celebrating not one but two royal weddings, celebrities throwing buckets of ice on each other or more importantly will the decade be remembered for the rise of the #metoo movement?
The 2020s, this new decade we have woken up to, is more than exciting for the Guiding movement. It’s fierce. This decade we look to grow girl numbers dramatically so as many young girls as possible have the opportunity to make friends, learn skills and discover their full potential. There will be a new generation of strong women and we are glad to be a part of growing that strength. We want you to be part of it too.
When you set your New Year Resolutions this year, please think about ways you can achieve your personal goals whilst raising vital funds that support Girl Empowerment. Here are some ideas for you:
- Brendan Foot Supersite Round the Bays Wellington – walk or run a 6.5km, 10km or half marathon route in the heart of Wellington on Sunday 16 February. More info here!
- Round the Bays Auckland – walk or run the 8.4km route on Auckland’s harbour on Sunday 8 March. More info here
- Christchurch City2Surf – walk or run a 6km or 14km route in the popular local event on Sunday 22 March. More info here
- Take on your ultimate adventure and skydive for GirlGuiding NZ! More information on this to come but in the meantime, email your interest to [email protected]. You can also read about a 2019 skydiver, Katy Day’s story, here.
- Join the GirlGuiding NZ Champions Club by donating and then setting up a monthly donation for 2020.
If you have any other ideas or events you would like to take part in to fundraise for GirlGuiding NZ, please get in touch with me, Anneke Liefting, on [email protected] for help to make your plans happen!
Thank you and have a fabulous and fierce start to this new decade where you can be part of helping girls to change their world!
GirlGuiding NZ Fund Development Manager